Monday 8 October 2012

How I was told my little girl was gone..



They told me Hannah had died in a tent adjacent to the tent that we had slept in.  At first I could not remember, I couldn’t remember anything from the morning except seeing Phil scratching the side of the tent.  It is now a memory burned into my consciousness that flashes at me and takes my breath away.  

I want to go back in time and react differently which is mad because of course if I could go back in time I would go that little bit further and change everything that happened, my little girl would still be here but obviously I can’t. 

These flashbacks appear at any time.  I can be driving my car down the road and it will all of a sudden consume me, I have been caught out at my desk, at the shops, it happens all the time like I am there all over again, like I am sat there with my oxygen mask on with a man who was not a paramedic, I think he was a fellow camper from another tent telling me to breathe and to keep my oxygen mask on.  

The paramedic comes into the tent and tells me Hannah has gone and I say okay?  He asks me if I understand that they could not save Hannah and she has died and I nodded again and whispered okay.  He says for the third time, “Mrs Jones, I am really sorry but your daughter has died are you sure you understand what I am saying” and I whisper “yes I do”.

Okay???????????? WHY did I say that?  Why did I whisper okay because it wasn’t okay?  It was as far from okay as it could really be? Okay? no it is not!  I can no longer say okay without being taken back to the worst moment of my life.  

A week before Hannah died we went for a big walk near where we live through a wood alongside the River Dean.  We followed the River all the way down to the Bollin valley where the Rover Dean meets with the River Bollin.  There is a big pipe that runs part of the way of the walk that is big enough to balance and walk on.  

We were walking on this pipe and I was walking behind Hannah but there was a bramble bush sitting over the pipe that we had to get past.  Hannah kept yelling and laughing because she was being prickled so I wimped out and jumped down, it is this vivid image of her being prickled and laughing that I focus on when having these flash backs.

Hannah following Phil on the pipe along the River Dean
I was taken to hospital in an ambulance with the blue lights on.  Phil had been taken in a separate ambulance but we were placed next to each other in A&E.  I was then told by a pediatrician that Ben had been taken in an air ambulance and was under sedation in intensive care, they said that they were doing everything they could but there was a chance he could have suffered from some damage to the brain of which they would not know until he woke up.  Thankfully he was okay.

2 comments:

  1. Oh love, whatever way we are told its always going to be awful isn't it. You were in shock, and lets be honest, what on earth are you meant to say when faced with that? When they told me that Max had died and they had done everything they could, all I said was thank you…someone comes to tell you the worst news ever and thats what I say. What a lovely memory you have of Hannah the week before. I have lots of lovely memories of Max from the Saturday through to the Wednesday when he died, and I am so happy I do. Hopefully these memories will become more at the forefront of our minds rather than the awfulness of being told that they had died eventually. I try and say to myself that he lived a life, he didn't just die, and I don't want that to define how I remember him. Its so hard though. They just weren't meant to die. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there's any right things you can say when you're given that news, I said 'I think I've left the light on at home' - what a dumb ass thing for me to say

    ReplyDelete